Warning: Use of undefined constant get_ID_by_slug - assumed 'get_ID_by_slug' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/unitedrestorationoc.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/unitedrestoration/functions.php on line 733
Your Common Mold Questions Answered - United Restoration and Construction

Your Common Mold Questions Answered

The mold remediation team here at United Restoration gets asked many questions about this common pest. Here are the answers to some of the mold-related questions we’re most frequently asked.

Did I do something to cause mold to grow in my home?
Not necessarily. The presence of mold has nothing to do with how clean your home is, its age, or any other general factors. Mold will only flourish and spread under certain conditions, some of which may be beyond your control. This is especially the case when water damage occurs. A simple clean up and restoration of surface water damage isn’t going to eradicate any mold spores that have settled into surrounding surfaces.

I’ve heard that mold is toxic; is this true?
While it’s true that a few mold varieties are toxic, most are relatively harmless. Technically it’s not the mold itself that’s harmful, it’s the microscopic spores that are released by mature growths. Mold spreads via these invisible spores in the same manner that plants spread by seeds. A high spore concentration in the air is likely to affect people with seasonal environmental allergies (hay fever). If you start experiencing itchy eyes, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, or other allergic symptoms out of season, there’s a chance that there’s some mold around.

If mold isn’t harmful, why should I get rid of it?
Even if a growth of mold isn’t bothering you personally, it can actually cause significant damage to your home and possessions if left unchecked. Mold is a fungus, an organism that decomposes whatever matter it grows on. This is fine when it’s happening outside, but it’s a different matter inside your home. Mold begins to grow and spread in as little as twenty-four hours and can decompose wood, gypsum board, cardboard, paper goods, and many other materials. If left alone for enough time, mold will cause deep structural damage to a building.

So what should I do?
Small mold patches are fairly easy to treat but you have to be thorough. Begin by scraping off all the surface growths you can see. Use a stiff bristled brush and bleach water to scrub the affected surface then rinse. You may need to repeat this procedure if growths return. If the mold growths are persistent, professional remediation procedures may be called for.

Andre Abajian
United Restoration & Construction, Inc.
15801 Rockfield Blvd Ste G Irvine, CA 92618

Request Info

    United Restoration & Construction, Inc.
    15801 Rockfield Blvd Ste G
    Irvine, CA 92618
    Phone: 949-474-1234

    Get Social